Fast Track Frequently Asked Questions
- Why should I choose Allabroad?
- Because we have shorebased facilities, a solid infrastructure, and over eight years of Fast Track success to ensure that you achieve your Yachtmaster goals.
- What is your pass rate like?
- Excellent, but we make no false promises. We have retrained students who have taken, and failed, Fast Track courses at other schools that claim to have 100% pass rates. Our pass rate is over 99%. During the eight years that we have been running Fast Track courses, only three students have failed to pass the final assessment. These students had joined the course for pleasure, and chose not to retake the assessment. We offer extra complimentary training to those who do not make it first time—it is often the strongest candidates whose nerves get the better of them on exam day.
- How long have you been running these courses?
- We became RYA recognised in January 2000 and ran the first Fast Track course in 2002, which was cutting edge at the time. Fast Track courses are now more widespread, and are often offered by those who have only been established for a few months.
- What boats will I be sailing on?
- The Allabroad fleet is shown on our website, and when they are not out sailing, they can be found lined up along the quay at Marina Bay ready for our students. We don’t advertise yachts that we don’t own 100%. We have access to a further seven performance and large luxury yachts, but we do not claim that these are part of the main fleet.
- Why is Gibraltar a great location?
- It is tidal, with an average current of about four knots through the Straits, and it has fantastic all-year-round sailing weather which is warm with good reliable winds. Gibraltar has unrivalled pilotage opportunities through the Bay of Gibraltar and a busy Traffic Separation Scheme to navigate. Your cruising ground includes four countries: certainly a lot to explore.
- What is included?
- We include all of your accommodation and meals throughout, with no hidden charges for berthing fees, fuel, or examination fees. You may use our wet weather clothing and lifejackets, or we can advise you on what to purchase before the course so that you can enjoy your own style. Most books required for the course are included (about six kilograms of them), and we have a recommended reading list if you want to enhance this.
- What facilities do you have?
- We have a 12 person classroom and Fast Track rest rooms with 24 hour access. The rest room has Sky TV, Internet access and Skype phone, along with sofas on which to relax. We have our own sail repair workshop and an extensive parts store.
- What guarantees do I have when choosing Allabroad?
- We have a no-quibble two-week opt-out policy: if you find within the first two weeks that, for whatever reason, you do not wish to continue, then we will ensure you are refunded the remaining course fees promptly.
Provided that you have been committed to the course program, we will offer additional weeks at no extra charge should you not pass first time. This is typically when exam nerves get the better of you, and it can happen to the strongest of candidates. It doesn’t happen often, but rest assured that we want to see you succeed and we will ensure that if you are committed, you will succeed.
Everything you read and see on the website is true, from classrooms to yachts—there are no tricks or gimmicks.
- Where will I be sailing?
- The Cruising area page provides details of the main ports of call, but there are many others too, giving you lots of choice and a variety of sailing conditions.
- Why are all the one day courses important?
- They are not just important they are absolutely essential! You cannot be a Yachtmaster without every one of the courses included in the Fast Track course.
You need some courses to take the Yachtmaster exam, others to apply for a commercial endorsement and the others to make you a good skipper. A good skipper needs more than just the ability to manage crew and navigate a yacht safely; they must know what to do in the event of an emergency.
Running repairs and maintenance skills will save you money when sailing your own yacht, and will make you more attractive to employers, especially if you bring their yachts back in better condition than when they departed.
- Why do I need STCW 95?
- Without it, Yachtmaster Offshore is only valid for commercial work on UK flagged vessels. With the STCW 95 endorsement your Yachtmaster Offshore will be accepted by other maritime authorities worldwide. In addition, you need STCW 95 if you plan to work on larger yachts and other commercial workboats. So in short, it opens up a whole world of additional opportunities for you. It is essential in our view, and that is why it is added to our Fast Track course.