RYA Coastal Skipper & Yachtmaster Theory
Expand your knowledge and set your sights further afield. To safely and confidently navigate coastal waters by day or night, you need more than just the practical skills required to handle a boat. This theory course will increase your understanding of the skills taught in the Day Skipper courses, and add new knowledge along the way. Upon completion, you will have a solid base upon which to build your RYA Coastal Skipper Practical (Sail) skills. This course may be taken through our Coastal Skipper Theory Online course, or as a six day classroom course.
Traditional five day Coastal Skipper Theory shorebased course
Allabroad is the only Gibraltar based RYA Training Centre that has invested in its own on-site facilities, situated in Marina Bay, a stone’s throw from our fleet. The RYA state that all theory courses must be run in suitable location with teaching aids and enough space for chart work. We designed our air-conditioned twelve person classroom with maritime courses in mind and equipped it with everything you would expect to see in a modern facility.
Fast Track RYA Coastal Skipper Theory & Practical
Sorry, but we do not offer a Fast Track option for this course. Unlike the Day Skipper Theory and Practical courses, this combination of courses cannot be successfully condensed into a nine day period. There is simply too much information to learn and too many skills to be taught.
We consider that taking the online or classroom course, and following it with the one week Coastal Skipper Practical course is the only way to gain sufficient experience and knowledge.
If you are able to make the necessary commitment, you may choose to take the theory course at evening class near to your home. You may also self study if you wish.
To acheive this certificate, the RYA require that your navigational skills and knowledge are up to Coastal Skipper & Yachtmaser Theory standards. However, this does not mean you must possess the Coastal Skipper & Yachtmaser Theory certificate in order to attend the practical course. It means that to achieve the practical course your knowledge must be up to this level.
That said, we highly recommend that anyone who has their sights set on either MCA RYA Yachtmaster Coastal or MCA RYA Yachtmaster Offshore should undertake the course in its official format, and preferably in a classroom environment. This course is pivotal within the RYA course structure.
- Syllabus Summary
- The magnetic compass
- GPS and chart plotters
- Echo sounding
- Navigation in restricted visibility
- Minimum Pre-Course Experience & Assumed Knowledge
- Navigation to RYA Day Skipper Theory standard and practical skills to RYA Day Skipper Practical (Sail) level
- 48 hours, plus exam time for the online version and six days in the classroom, which equates to 48 hours plus exam time
- RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Shorebased. Awarded upon successful completion of the final assessment paper. The assessment paper is split into three sections, one is collision regulations (90 minutes), one meteorology (90 minutes) and the third is chart work (120 minutes).
- Six day shorebased course is £350
- Course dates
- If you have set dates in mind please contact us for options to suit.