Yachtmaster Ocean Theory
Traditional five day Ocean Theory shorebased course
Allabroad is the only Gibraltar based RYA Training Centre that has invested in its own on-site facilities, situated in Marina Bay, a stone’s throw from our fleet. The RYA state that all theory courses must be run in suitable location with teaching aids and enough space for chart work. We designed our air-conditioned twelve person classroom with maritime courses in mind and equipped it with everything you would expect to see in a modern facility.
The syllabus for the Ocean theory course does not include and work with a Sextant. At Allabroad we feel this is vital to consolidate your understanding. During your course we will take time away from the classroom to take the various sextants we have and you will have the opportunity to set them up and take sights.
- Syllabus Summary
- The earth and the celestial sphere
- The PZX triangle
- The sextant
- Measurement of time
- Meridian altitudes
- Sun, star and other sights
- Compass checking
- Great circle sailing
- Passage planning and passage making
- Minimum Pre-Course Experience & Assumed Knowledge
- You are welcome to attend this course after achieving RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Theory level navigation. However you are unable to take your oral examination until you have achieved your MCA RYA Yachtmaster Offshore and undertaken the qualifying passage. The qualifying passage may be taken at any time.
- 40 hours, plus exam time for the online version and five days in the classroom, which equates to 40 hours plus exam time.
- MCA RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased Certificate awarded upon successful completion of the final assessment paper. The assessment paper covers both meteorology and passage planning and has a time limit of 2 hours.
- Five day Classroom course is £395 - £495
- If you have set dates in mind please contact us for options to suit.