RYA Day Skipper Course (Practical Sail)
The RYA Day Skipper Course teaches all the skills required in order to safely take charge as skipper.
Your professional instructor will cover, the Day Skipper Practical Syllabus step by step in a clear, easy to follow manner. This includes, for example:
- Passage planning, safety checks, pilotage, open water navigation, and passage making.
- Getting to grips with close quarter manoeuvring under various wind and tide conditions; dock like a pro!
- High level seamanship, and safety, including man overboard prevention and recovery.
- Amazing night sailing exercise, the highlight of the week for many, putting all the theory training into practice.
By the end of the course you will have sufficient knowledge to skipper a small yacht in familiar waters by day. You will sail to three countries, make great new friends across the fleet of yachts and no doubt top up your tan in the process too. On the final evening newly qualified Day Skippers often head out in the evening to enjoy dinner together at one of Ocean Village's variety of marina side restaurants.
Putting your Certification into use.
The RYA Day Skipper course is a minimum qualification requirement for many bareboat charter and flotilla companies. Upon completion you can apply for an ICC depending upon nationality or residence. The ICC is a helpful additional document to demonstrate your standard of competence as a Skipper in some other European countries.
This course mixes well with Competent Crew, so why not join up with family and friends. Group booking offer discounts, so it may work out more cost effective to reserve a private yacht for your group.
Previous Experience required:
For this course you need to have the Competent Crew course or equivalent experience at sea of 100 miles / 5 days sailing, for example you. You are also required to hold the Day Skipper Theory however if you do not already have this then you may prefer the Express Day Skipper course. Alternatively, it is possible to complete the theory online ahead of time with the Online Day Skipper theory course to your package.
1800 Sunday until 1600 Friday
RYA Day Skipper Practical Course Dates:
This course starts every Sunday throughout the year. Which Sunday are you going to join us on?
- 1800 every Sunday in 2024
What’s Included: there are no hidden extras.
- Fresh bed linen & towel.
- Berthing fees.
- Gas, water, electricity, fuel
- The Professionals choice of Spinlock lifejackets.
- A welcome pack including tea, fresh ground coffee & instant coffee to get you settled onboard.
- Breakfast & light lunch is included.
Day Skipper Practical Course Price 2024:
- £750 per person
- £895 single occupancy private cabin
- £1500 double occupancy private cabin
- £2850 private yacht
If you don not select a private cabin, you may be allocated one of the two saloon berths. Couples, friends or family can guarantee a double occupancy private cabin which can be set up as a twin, or double. Bring your friends - as you can see above, the private yacht option works out more cost effective for groups of 4 or more.
The ideal course to add:
VHF SRC Radio Course is an essential addition to the Day Skipper course since all charter and flotilla companies require this. This is easily added to your Allabroad course package as an online study course prior to you arriving and a short assessment session whilst on your course.